After Care Instructions: Dental Extractions
- Remove gauze from extraction site in 90-minutes.
- Take pain medication, please eat something soft (ex: pudding, applesauce, frosty) PRIOR to taking your pain medicine. Pain medication is prescribed to be taken every 6 hours. It is also recommended to take 600mg of Ibuprofen in between the pain medicine dosages. This will cut back on the amount of pain medication that is being taken and keeps the patient’s pain control at a good steady level.
- If the extraction site is dry, NOT oozing blood you may leave the gauze out. If the extraction site is still bleeding replace with clean gauze at 90-minute intervals until you are no longer oozing blood.
- A normal diet can may be resumed the following day.
- Apply ice if instructed to do so.
- Please rinse with warm salt water after eating for 7 to 10 days.
- Resume normal oral hygiene 24 hours following surgery.
- Avoid tobacco, carbonated beverages and drinking through a straw for 3 days following surgery
- Please keep head elevated above the body for 24 hours for as this will help with bleeding and swelling.
For your convenience, we have made these instructions in PDF format for download: